Learning AssistantThe duties of a student Learning Assistant (LA) can vary from course to course; the experience for all LAs involves three related activities:
- Content: LAs meet weekly with their mathematics faculty instructor to plan for the upcoming week, reflect on the previous week, and analyze assessment data;
- Practice: LAs facilitate collaboration among learning teams of students by formatively assessing student understanding and asking guiding questions; LAs assist the faculty instructor and course TAs; and
- Pedagogy: LAs attend a special Mathematics and Science Education seminar (at no cost to the LA) where they reflect on their own teaching and learning and make connections to relevant education practices.
- A. Undergraduate Math majors who have received excellent grades in M408C and D and in any upper-division mathematics courses taken.
- B. Undergraduate Math majors in sophomore or junior standing.
- Evidence of outstanding scholarship in M408C and D (or equivalent) and any upper-division mathematics courses taken.
- Undergraduate assistants must be working toward their first degree.
- Students on Probation can not be hired, regardless of having high grades in Mathematics.
- Students who have been held in violation of University Standards of Conduct may not be eligible.
Each student selected as a Learning Assistant in the Mathematics Department may be asked questions to determine his/her proficiency in the course the student will assist.
All new Learning Assistants must present proof of eligibility for employment by completing a Verification of Identity and United States Employment Authorization for All Employees form. Forms will be given to you upon acceptance of employment.
Learning Assistants will be appointed for different number of hours per week depending on such factors as class size, frequency and type of assistance required, etc.
LAs are responsible for advising us immediately of any changes of address or phone number. Please contact Dr. Mark Daniels - 232-5767 if you have any questions regarding this application.
Online Learning Assistant Application Form is available from here.