[Maxima] proposal to cut out plot2d_ps
robert.dodier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 10:58:49 CST 2007
There is a function plot2d_ps which creates a Postscript plot.
The file is constructed by code in src/plot.lisp; no external package
such as Gnuplot or anything else is called. Here is an example:
I propose that we cut out plot2d_ps and related functions.
(1) The plot is very plain; plot2d_ps does not make a title, legend,
or axis labels.
(2) Gnuplot makes nicer Postscript plots.
(3) plot2d_ps does not recognize parametric or discrete plots,
and does not recognize multiple curves to plot.
(plot2d with Gnuplot PS output can handle all of those things.)
(4) Equipping plot2d_ps to be at least as nice as Gnuplot
would be quite a lot of work. If we must have a built-in Postscript
plot capability (and I'm not convinced of that), we are better off
importing some 3rd party library to do it.
(5) The Maxima plotting code is messy. Cutting out plot2d_ps
would be a substantial step towards cleaning it up.
More information about the Maxima